Monday, May 14, 2012

Vegan Recipe: Warm Spring Quinoa Salad

I LOVED this meal the other night. The warm, crisp veggies 
were bursting with flavor and the fresh lemon juice 
added a tangy spring-fresh feel to the dish.

Ingredients
Serves one
Extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 mushrooms, thinly sliced
lemon pepper salt
dash of garlic salt
1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced 1/2"
1/2 orange bell pepper
5 asparagus, cut into 2-3" pieces
1/2 zucchini, cut into 1/2" slices
handful of small tomatoes
2 cups cooked quinoa
1-2 lemons, cut in half

How To
1. Drizzle oil in a saute pan and heat on med-med/high heat.
2. As oil starts to heat, add garlic to pan.
3. Add sliced mushrooms to pan and coat in oil.
4. Season mushrooms with lemon pepper salt and garlic salt to taste.
5. After you saute the mushrooms for about 2 minutes, add the rest of the vegetables to the pan.  
6. Add a little more oil and seasonings to coat the veggies.
7. After you saute the veggies for 3 minutes, add the quinoa to the pan. Stir occasionally.
8. Stir the veggies and quinoa often until the mixture is warm but the veggies are still warm.
9. Garnish with lemon halves and serve.  Drizzle the salad with fresh lemon juice before eating. 

A heaping plate of goodness :)

3 comments:

  1. Mon, that looks sooooooo good! I'm going to have to try it now! I looked the other day, but there is no quinoa here at all... just that other stuff, and I forget the name, Orzo?? Is that it?? Is it the same as quinoa?? Please let me know!!! Now I'm hungry for that?!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, orzo is not the same as quinoa. Orzo is rice-shaped pasta and quinoa is the seed of a grain. Here is a link to buy it on amazon!

    http://www.amazon.com/Earthly-Delights-Organic-Premium-Percent/dp/B0036FB6FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339446908&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  3. See how bad my memory is now! You told me I could get it on Amazon and in a month I had totally forgotten this. I have to write notes to tell me where my notes are! Quinoa = Amazon!

    ReplyDelete