Sunday, August 5, 2012

Does Your Dress Size Determine How Sexy You Are?




I posted the pictures above on my facebook this week and asked for your feedback.  I have to say, I was pretty impressed by your responses.  Not one person bashed anyone, which makes me happy and proud to be a part of our community here.  The overwhelmingly positive response was one of beauty diversity, recognizing that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and is admired across the board.


When I first posted these, I thought for sure that the majority were going to love and envy the VS models.  I thought I was going to need to address a societal body dysmorphic disorder.  Instead, I ended up facing my own inner body image demons.  

When I was younger, I was long and lean.  In my early twenties, I gained about 40 pounds.  When I lost the weight, I thought I would return to my long lean self, however I'm older now and my hips have popped out.  This girl...ahem, woman...has curves.  I no longer have the body of a girl, and it has taken some getting used to.  Clothes fit differently than they used to, fat holds onto new places, and there is even some cellulite for decoration.  I could probably afford to take off another ten pounds, but my body is stubbornly holding on to what I have left and is trying to convince me to love what I have and to work what my mama gave me.  

The VS models themselves evoke an emotional response from me because I used many of their photos during my weight loss as motivation, thinking that one day I would be able to look like their photoshopped images.  That was realistic. *Sarcasm*  I am always and forever fighting my inner perfectionist.

Would they have fed the VS models ironized yeast?

But what is a "perfect" body?  As I looked at the pictures up top for the first time, my gut reaction surprised me.  Instead of preferring the VS models, I was drawn to the curvier women.  For the first time, I viewed the VS models as just a little too skinny.  I want to be clear here.  I am not bashing them in any way.  They are beautiful.  This has more to do with my personal relationship with body image and my view of beauty.  For the first time, I was able to see beautiful, voluptuous, real women side by side with society's standard, and realized I prefer the curves and softness of the Dove women.  It was an epiphany for me.

My body falls somewhere between the VS and the Dove women.  I eat well and take care of my body.  I'm fit and strong.  Yet I still have meat on my bones and plenty of curves.  What I realized, and what I hope and think you all realize, is that all of us are unique and beautiful in our own ways.  We don't need to look like anyone else in order to be beautiful.  In fact, the most beautiful people radiate their beauty from the inside out and wear it with confidence.  Confidence is key.  When you feel beautiful and sexy, others will see you as beautiful and sexy.  How you feel about your body comes out in the energy you give off.  


Society changes its standard of beauty each decade.  Sometimes sexiness is portrayed as zaftig and voluptuous like Ms. Monroe, and other decades anorexic models take the cake (they can't eat it, though) at an emaciated 100 pounds.  The truth is, and most men will agree, that ALL body types are beautiful ALL the time.  Men, in particular, like variety.  They may never admit this to you (especially if you're in a relationship with one), but most men love to experience all different shapes, sizes and styles of women.  Each woman brings not only a unique physical beauty to the table, but a unique inner beauty as well. 

Raquel Welch shows us how a few more curves used to make the most beautiful bikini stand out.

I strive to inspire others with my blog, but this week you all inspired me.  Your responses to these pictures, your acceptance of your own bodies, and your appreciation for the many diverse forms of beauty taught me lessons this week and I thank you.  We need to claim our own unique beauty.  We need to work our own unique sexy style.  We need to shine our inner beauty out into the world.  We are the complete package if we accept and love ourselves.  Go out and work it.  Be your bad self.  Shake what your mama gave you. 

Love to you all,
Monica xoxo






No comments:

Post a Comment