Friday, February 24, 2012

A Delicious Salad, A Salad Dressing Review and Reading Labels!


Hi everyone!

I want to share the salad I had last night with you because it was DELICIOUS!  We just threw this together at my boyfriend's house with what was on hand and the results were nothing short of amazing.  If this doesn't make you want to eat more fruits and veggies, I don't know what will! ;)

This salad's ingredients were:
Spinach
Mixed Greens
1/2 Apple
1/2 Chicken Breast
About 10 Almonds
Sprinkled with Craisins and Mozzarella Cheese
Dress with Litehouse Fuji Apple Vinaigrette Dressing

A word about the dressing.  I don't normally use bottled salad dressing, although I do from time to time.  I mainly use extra virgin olive oil and some type of vinegar because it keeps the ingredients as simple as possible.  I'm about to show you how this seemingly healthy dressing is really not that great for you.  (Hey, it's all I had to top my salad with!) 

If you take a look at the label, you'll notice that there are 7 grams of fat.  I want you to learn the difference between the types of fats out there.  Saturated and Trans Fat = BAD.  Poly and Monounsaturated Fat = GOOD.  The Bad Fats raise the bad cholesterol (LDL or Loser Cholesterol).  The Good Fats raise your good cholesterol (HDL or Happy Cholesterol).  Monos and Polys are essential to our bodies functioning at their peak.  Our bodies NEED fats to lubricate our insides and help transport fat-soluble vitamins, among other things.  The key to fat intake is, of course....moderation.  Salad dressings, oils, fish, and flax seeds are all great ways to get good-for-you fats into your diet.  This dressing has the right kinds of fats, but I could do without the sodium and sugars present on the label.  Compared to other salad dressings this really isn't so bad, though, and the calories are relatively low.
Now, after you read your nutrition label, I want you to get into the habit of reading the ingredients.  If you can't pronounce the ingredients or don't know what they are, then you probably shouldn't eat it.  But that is another habit...you don't need to worry about this for a couple weeks. ;)  I like that most people would know what all the ingredients are until the last four.  Now this is where I'm going to shock you....This looks like a healthy dressing so far.  So far, you would probably buy this at the grocery store, am I right? 

Before you answer, let me tell you what maltodextrin is.  Maltodextrin is an artificial sweetener.  This week, you don't need to worry about cutting out artificial sweeteners, but eventually I want you to get rid of all of them!  Maltodextrin is a fake sugar that has addictive qualities and slows down your digestion.  Junk food is full of maltodextrin.  All of a sudden, this seemingly good-for-you dressing isn't looking so hot, is it?

Then we see natural flavor.  That seems harmless, right?  It's natural, right?  Wrong.  Do your own homework on this one (Thank you, Google.) but basically, natural flavor, is a clever marketing ploy to name another man-made chemical additive.  These chemical additives wreak havoc on how your system operates. 

Next, we have xantham gum which is, despite its scary sounding name, a natural thickener in cooking that actually has positive benefits.  You can buy this at the grocery store.  It can also be used as a substitute for gluten in cooking for those with gluten intolerances.

Finally, we come to malic acid, which is a naturally occurring substance in fruits and veggies, especially apples, that has many health benefits.  Sounds a little iffy, but it is good for you!

So, after scrutinizing this salad dressing, I would say that it is not as healthy as advertised, however it is not the worst on the market.  Staying in line with my gradual approach to a new lifestyle, I would recommend this salad dressing for those of you who want a healthier option than what you currently use, but whose taste buds are not necessarily ready for oil, vinegar and lemons as a salad topper.

I hope this info helps all of you.  Try this salad--it was SOOOO good--and maybe if we all put our heads together we can come up with our own healthier recipe for an apple-inspired dressing. :)  And don't forget to check in with me and let me know how you are doing with this week's challenge!

Lots of Love<3,
Mon

1 comment:

  1. Also, your salad dressing label, if I read it right (small print) the carbs are low too...which is good for everyone, especially if you are a diabetic! Good job! Lots of info! I'm going to print it out to take with me on our trip..Thanks!

    ReplyDelete