Monday, June 11, 2012

My Very LOW MAINTENANCE Veggie Garden



Hey everyone!
Check out my super simple, easy peasy, functional, anyone-can-do-it-no-matter-where-you-live veggie garden this year!  I used 5 gallon buckets for my containers, and just put them on the side of my house and on my deck. I'm growing three different kinds of tomatoes--a purple one :), a big juicy red variety, and grape tomatoes--beans, zucchini, yellow and orange bell peppers, dill weed, strawberries, and stevia!  I'm kind of excited about the stevia--since it is a staple in my diet.  I'm not exactly sure how to process it yet, but I'll figure it out.


I used FoxFarm Happy Frog Soil and once a week I'm fertilizing with Vital Earth's Seabird Guano, Cal Mag, and my shop's very own living compost tea, which introduces live beneficial bacteria and microbes to the root system.  Those friendly microbes and bacteria support EXTREME root growth, and as we say, the bigger the roots, the bigger the fruits!  I'm also foliar spraying with liquid kelp once a week.  Everything I'm using is organic and I can't wait to bite into all of my delicious, homegrown food in a couple months!

 Up next...the indoor herb garden on my kitchen counter.  My goal is to eventually become as self-sufficient as possible, which means growing as much of my own food as possible.  Not only does it help my lil ol' carbon footprint by saving gas and pollution trucking these foods all over the world, but I know EXACTLY what is in my food, what fertilizers/pesticides were used, and I can eat it right off the vine--unlike at the grocery store where the fruits and veggies are already a couple weeks old.  Um, can anyone say nutrient loss?  Help the environment, help ourselves....seems like a win-win to me.

 I would love to see what you're growing this year!  Post your pics on my facebook!  Oh, and if any of you have a magical way to keep the slugs at bay, PLEASE let me know!

Have a great week!
Mon

No comments:

Post a Comment